[ RadSafe ] California Dreamin'

Earley, Jack N Jack_N_Earley at RL.gov
Thu Jul 12 15:11:18 CDT 2007

"Federal officials have whittled down their list of potential locations
for a proposed National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility, and Site 300, in
the hills south of Tracy, is not on it. The Department of Homeland
Security selected sites in Mississippi, Kansas, Texas, North Carolina
and Georgia as finalists for the proposed lab, much to the delight of
local activists. Marylia Kelley, executive director of Tri-Valley
Communities Against a Radioactive Environment, called it 'a major
victory for the community.'"

Art Laffer, former economic advisor to Pres. Reagan and Gov.
Schwarzenegger, spoke at a conference I attended last week. He mentioned
that he had left (my native state of) California for good due to the new
spate of taxes being imposed (I wondered what took him so long--maybe
he's an optimist). He also said that every time they raised taxes, a
flood of residents and businesses exited the state. I absolutely support
California's choices to raise taxes and oppose growth, technology, and
innovation, in whatever way they offend the populace. How long do you
suspect it took the merchants to learn not to go through Sherwood
Forest? The Robin Hood mentality is changing California from the Golden
State to the State of Denial (Oregon already has title to the State of
Hysteria), but I guess they'll figure it out when they have more
entitlements than tax revenue. This particular project has a budget of
$47M just for design and architecture, not to mention construction and
operating costs.

Jack Earley
Health Physicist
509.372.9532