[ RadSafe ] Colorado nuclear gauge licensing fee?

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Sat Jul 14 11:17:52 CDT 2007

Hi Phil, thanks for clearing that up for us.
On your state program, how much does a materials license for 1 Gauge cost (initial license application fee)?
How much does a license for 10 gauges cost?
How much does a license for 100 gauges cost?

In the NRC program, the answer to all is "$1200.00 USD".

Ref. Ms. Brown, NRC HQ, Lic fees dept, 301-415-6055

George DowellNLNLNew London Nucleonics Lab56791 Rivere Au Sel Pl.New London, MO 63459GEOelectronics at Netscape.com573-221-3418

"Message: 8
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:46:21 -0600
From: "Philip Egidi" <pvegidi at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us>
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear gauges, DU, Th, Radium watch hands-
Ownership issues.
To: <GEOelectronics at netscape.com>,<radsafe at radlab.nl>

As an Agreement State regulator (Colorado). who licenses and inspects gauge users, I tend to think maybe you had some communications issues with the lady from
NRC HQ.
They will license as many as the site needs, provided they have the appropriate storage capability, etc.
We do not issue specific licenses for "any" amount of gauges.  No way.
We will license, for example" Up to x number of model XYZ gauges..."
Like Dale said, there are basic requirements that need to be met prior to getting a license.  Having said that, they are not hard to meet.
Gauges are designed to be inherently safe under normal use.
Just today I did a gauge inspection at a coal mine in western Colorado.  They had some gauges for measuring coal ash content, and flow in piping.
While any one gauge does not have too much material, there are concerns about aggregation of sources, so we tend to keep better track of inventory on portable gauges than we used to.  Many older devices are generally licensed, which have less stringent requirements.  Many of the States are in dissagreement with NRC on GL devices, and go beyond what NRC requires, when the compatablity catagory allows.  But that is another topic.
Phil Egidi
CDPHE

Phil Egidi
EPS III
Radiation Management Unit
Radiation Control Program
Hazardous Materials and Waste Management Division
CDPHE

NEW ADDRESS:
222 S. 6th St. Rm. 232
Grand Junction, CO 81501