[ RadSafe ] Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher than normal near wildfire

Emer, Dudley EMERDF at nv.doe.gov
Mon Jul 16 11:03:46 CDT 2007

The data were taken from the Community Environmental Monitoring Program
(CEMP) stations http://www.cemp.dri.edu/cemp/ which are deployed around
the Nevada Test Site and measure met data as well as gamma radiation
(using a PIC). These stations take weekly air samples as well.

Go to the DOE CEMP web site and lookup the gamma and met data for the
period July 5 - July 15, 2007.
http://www.cemp.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cemp_stations.pl?prod=7&stn=milu

They will calibrate the gamma detector once a month and you will see a
spike during those cals but these events have been persistent over the
period July 5 - 15.  Note the level shift on July 15 jumping from 20 to
17uR/hr which may indicate an equipment problem.  The barometric
pressure and winds have been steady and calm and none of the surrounding
stations show these spikes so I don't think its local atmospheric
pumping.  The gamma spikes don't seem to correlate with wind direction
although in talking with DRI they said the mass loadings on the air
filter is approximately double the normal load indicating the filtered
particulates may be smoke derived.

DRI/UNLV is running the air samples now and should have some gamma spec
data later today or tomorrow which will tell the tale.

Dudley Emer
Geophysicist
National Security Technologies
702-295-7808 office