[ RadSafe ] Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher than normalnear wildfire -Cs-137, K-40 data

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 09:24:50 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I've mentioned aspects of the woodash survey I conducted back in the  1990s
on radsafe before. Based on actual measurements, from this survey of Cs-137
in woodash, the typical K-40 content of woodash is about 120,000 picoCuries
per kg of ash.  Woodash is 10 to 15% potassium by weight --thus it's use as
a feedstock to the early US potash industry in colonial times.

Ash samples from burning mature hardwoods in the East in my survey had
Cs-137 as high as 20,000 [in many parts of New England] to 25,000 picoCuries
kg of ash [in oak ash from FL].

At these latter levels, the  Cs-137 peak dwarfed the K-40 peak due to gamma
abundance in K-40 being relatively low vs. Cs-137 and Cs-137 efficiency in
gamma counting being much higher than K-40. Thus total counts from Cs-137 at
say 20,000 pCi/kg ash showed a peak on a gamma spec that was much, much
higher than that from K-40 at 120,000 pCi/kg ash. Every other peak in the U
and Th decay series in woodash faded to the baseline vs. the K-40 and Cs-137
peak heights.

I received  data in this survey on Cs-137 in wood ash from Idaho which was
about 1,000 pCi/kg in pine ash. Wood ash samples from trees in CA showed
Cs-137 at only about 300 pCi/kg ash. Cs-137 content in woodash varies by
factors of up to 100 despite relatively even Cs-137 areal deposition from
airborne nuclear bomb testing, due to soil factors:  stable Cs in soil
[higher stable Cs leads to higher Cs-137 in biomass per unit deposition],
stable potassium levels in soil [inverse relationship  --more stable K,
lower Cs-137 per unit deposition], and more.

A wild fire can throw up  2 to 3% or more of the mass of biomass burned as
airborne ash particulates which might contribute to elevated activity
measured on filters due to K-40 and Cs-137 [residual from generalized
weapon's test fallout].

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services