[ RadSafe ] Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher thannormalnear wildfire -Cs-137, K-40 data

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 11:09:38 CDT 2007

Issues are very complex about what effects Cs-137 in biomass per unit
deposition in soil.  For example, despite deposition in N. Florida being
lower on average, Cs-137 in woodash there is higher than in New England or
Pennsylvania which had higher Cs-137 deposition. Florida has very low stable
K levels in soil and thus Cs-137 levels in biomass as plants work harder to
try and take up stable K from soil which is low and suck up more Cs-137 as
it were.

The low Cs-137 in biomass in West for the few samples I received appears to
be due to data indicating the soil is very low in stable Cs [which reduces
Cs-137 uptake in soil per unit deposition] and high in stable K [which also
reduces Cs-137 uptake per unit deposition]. The relationship between stable
Cs-137 in soil and its effect on Cs-137 uptake from soil to plant might at
first glance appear counterintuitive, but there is a good explanation for it
based on binding sites on soil particles for Cs whether stable or Cs-137.
Cs-137 from bomb tests came down as carrier free Cs-137 and if the stable Cs
in soil was high, was available for uptake from soil to plant at a higher
transfer ratio.

The issues with Cs-137 and uptake for unit depositon, apply in a somewhat
analogous way to Sr-90 uptake from soil to plant from deposition from bomb
testing [or nuclear plant releases] except stable Ca in soil is the critical
factor. Higher stable Ca in soil, lower Sr-90 uptake to plants [or trees].

All of this pertains to the ludicrous claims of the Tooth Fairy Project
since uptake from environmental deposition to biomass [plants or trees, it
just doesn't matter] are rather complex and the spatial variability in
uptake to the diet of one person or another and the ultimate Sr-90 in teeth,
are so large. Never mind the releases from nuclear plants being countless
orders of magnitude less than bomb test fallout.

Regards,

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services