[ RadSafe ] Radiation in landfills

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Tue Jul 17 14:57:16 CDT 2007

Tritium foils are manufactured by plating a metal surface onto a nickel or
stainless backing. The plated material is commonly Titanium or Scandium.
After plating, the foil is heated and exposed to Tritium gas. As it cools,
the Tritium is bonded to the surface as the Tritide (hydride). The Tritium
will stay bonded as long as the temp is kept low. Tritium is released at
higher temperatures. Tritium can be exchanged off these foils. The foils in
use for electron capture detectors are 150-350 mCi if Titanium and up to 2
Ci for the Scandium. The 3M foils used in the static devices I believe are
Titanium as the Tritium comes off at the lower temperatures. We remove the
Tritium from these foils for reuse.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391

One would not normally expect any dose from Tritium from a foil. Usually one
can determine which side of the foil the Tritium is on by noting the color
of the metal. When in doubt, simply hold the foil up next to a pancake
detector. The Bremstrahlung is easily measured.