[ RadSafe ] RE: Oak Ridge Case

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Jul 20 20:29:43 CDT 2007

July 20

         Why are you calling him a dirtbag?  He hasn't been convicted of
anything, has he?  Apparently not, because according to an AP article in
today's Albuquerque Journal he (Oakley) entered a not guilty plea on
Thursday (the 19th).  My guess is there hasn't been a trial yet.  Why are
you calling him a dirtbag?

         The above-noted article says a "law enforcement official" said
Oakley was looking for buyers for the material (rods) he had.  According to
his lawyer, Herb Moncier, Oakley sold the rods to "an undercover federal
agent who told Oakley that he represented the French Embassy."  That makes
the Federal agent a liar right then and there, doesn't it?

         Also:  "The government said" the material was classified, blah,
blah, blah.  Is that the same government that said there was no torture at
Abu Graib prison, and that there were no secret CIA prisons?  Quickly with
your answer, please.

         According to an unsourced posting on yesterday's RADSAFE, "Oakley
was arrested as part of a months-long sting operation in which federal
agents posed as agents of a foreign country seeking to buy the classified
materials."   In sting operations there seems to be a very fine line
between criminal behavior by the accused, and entrapment by "the
government."  Below you even said Oakley got "set up."

         The posting yesterday also said, "there is concern the stolen
nuclear secrets, which may include information about the uranium enrichment
process . . . ."   I can think of five countries that enrich their own
uranium.  Is enrichment that all-fired secret?  Especially the gaseous
diffusion process?  My goodness even the Iranians know how to enrich
uranium.  (I'm only asking, I don't know.  For the record, I don't know
this Oakley fellow.)

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com