Cattle Story previously [ RadSafe ] Check out Story - Bomb Test Exposed Civilians to Radiation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 19:41:41 CDT 2007

I believe that is was in 1978 that I attended the
Health Physics Society's summer school on the aspects
of a nuclear attack.  One of the presenters displayed
pieces of cow hinds that had burned marks on them.  As
the story goes, prior to the detenation of the Los
Alamos nuclear test in 1945, the Army had flown around
the test site to ensure that no civilians were in the
area. After the test, they resurveyed the area and
found that cattle and wandered into the area downwind
of the test site.  The cattle had visible beta burns
due to the fallout, and the Army bought these animals,
about 15 head, to see what the long term effects of
fallout were.  As the typical head of cattle are sold
off as beef after a few years, the radiation extended
their life span as the cattle were kept for 15 years.

(http://news.aol.com/story/_a/bomb-test-exposed-civilians-to-radiation/2007071614
> 5209990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001)
>

> Joel I. Cehn, CHP
> _joelc at alum.wpi.edu_ (mailto:joelc at alum.wpi.edu)

““Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.”
-- Benjamin Franklin, circa 1750, on German immigration to Pennsylvania

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com