[ RadSafe ] Reuse of Spec Packaging

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Tue Jul 24 06:12:34 CDT 2007

If you look at 173.475, before each shipmentof any Class 7 package, the
offeror must ensure by examination or appropriate tests, that:

The packaging is proper for the contents to be shipped,

The packaging is in unimpaired physical condition, except for superficial
marks,

Each closure is properly installed , secured, and free of defects,

If fissile proper moderator is present,

Each instruction for proper filling , closing, and preparation has been
followed,

etc, etc, etc

It would appear from your description that for the package described, the
inner closure is not present, it is not in unimpaired condition, and you
probably dont have a copy of the packaging instructions.

As a result, I would not believe that you could legally put the package back
into transport.

If the original shipper had tested and shipped the material in a removable
top can such as a paint can and that can was secondarily packaged in a 5
gallon pail with a bolted lock ring, you could open the outer can, open the
inner can, inspect the source, and repackage. In this case, if you obtained
a copy of the packaging instructions and fllowed them during preparation for
reshipment, your reuse of the packaging would be totally acceptable.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391