[ RadSafe ] Re: Spent Fuel and Decay - Dangerous for Millions of Years?

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Fri Jul 27 10:39:36 CDT 2007

A useful document (although 10 y old), I find:

 http://www.senat.fr/rap/o97-612/o97-612_mono.html

A table with inventories can be found in sec. 2.1, Le butoir du césium.
tMLi = t de métal lourd irradié.

What "dangerous" means, is rather a philosophical question which can
hardly be solved by scientific reasoning. Comparing the total activities
or dose rates of U ore and spent fuel or reprocessing residues is
somewhat problematic, because the compositions are very different, and
therefore their behaviour in the environment and the biological
efficiencies.

pb

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."