[ RadSafe ] Annual dose from Nature/Background/Man-made sources

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Jul 31 15:58:55 CDT 2007

At 03:37 PM 7/31/2007, Brennan, Mike  (DOH) wrote:
>While I was never a fan of the old pie chart, I am less a fan of the new
>one and the message sent by changing it.
>
>I don't believe that medical exposure should be included in chart
>background or average exposure.  No own receives an "average" medical
>exposure: they either receive a medical exposure or they do not.  If you
>have 100 people and 10 of them receive medical exposures of 1,000 mR
>each, their exposure in no way affects the other 90 people.  If those
>ten get 10,000 mR each, it STILL doesn't effect the other.  Changing the
>number of people in the population changes the average, but doesn't
>change the effect on the people receiving exposure, or those not.

I have to agree with this!

There is a great difference between (1) what you can avoid (occupational
doses for radiation workers, medical doses for everyone - which should all
be judged/justified on a risk-benefit basis) and (2) those you cannot avoid
(natural, fallout, etc).

Of course, you "can" minimize the second category by moving your place of
residence..... (if you see any benefit in this <G>)

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken                     Cell Phone    713 562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation