[ RadSafe ] Annual dose from Nature/Background/Man-made sources

Tue Jul 31 17:50:50 CDT 2007

Peter,

You are right, and it is worse than that.  Radon exposure indeed varies
greatly, and each person is affected by their actual exposure, not the
average.  That is why when I am asked about radon levels I use
qualitative terms like "High potential" for exposure above the EPA's
action level.  Then I suggest they test to find out what they are
exposed to.

I also don't like comparing radon to other types of exposure, as radon
and its daughters are internal alpha exposure to the lung, and most
other exposures are not.  By the time the numbers concerning different
types of exposure are massaged enough so they can be compared, all the
real information has been squeezed out of them.

For radon, when talking to the public I try to keep the discussion at
"Breathing radioactive gas isn't good for you, and the more you breath,
the more not good it is" level.