AW: [ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Jun 28 15:51:38 CDT 2007

Mike (and others interested),

Far from being an expert on neutron sources I remember that Cf-252 is used
as a single source of neutrons because of spontaneous fission - as you
pointed out. I never heard that its alpha-particles were used to generate
neutrons together with Be.

Po/Be neutron-sources have been and are obviously still used in nuclear
reactors and in nuclear bombs.

The first neutron-sources were obviously Ra-Be mixtures. I doubt they are
still used.

Using DU as a source for alpha-particles would - if it were possible - not
reduce the quantity of DU stored significantly.....

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.