[ RadSafe ] Martin Tondel´s thesis - Sweden and Chernobyl

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Jun 4 11:17:18 CDT 2007

Lars,

What are the arguments for the rejection ?
I think Tondel's conclusions are (potentially, i.e. if correct) so far
reaching that they should be discussed thoroughly. I would really
appreciate a scientifically sound, that is, ideologically unbiased
critique of Tondel's (et al.'s) papers.

In 2005/6 a similar (but less sophisticated, lower power) study was made
in Austria, with the result that no Chernobyl effect was detectable. The
study can be downloaded from
www.anschober.at/downloads/endbericht_tschernobyl_studie.pdf ,
unfortunately only in German.

The Austrian conditions are to some extent comparable to the Swedish
ones, in that the spatial variability of the Chernobyl deposition is
very high (137Cs: <5 to >150 kBq/m2 ref 1.5.86) and good medical
registers exist. On the other hand, since the cloud arrived only 2 days
later, there was time for measures to reduce exposure, thus one can
anticipate that the mean dose per unit deposition was lower in Austria,
than in Sweden.

Peter Bossew

Lars Persson wrote:
> For information.
> Swedish Radiation Institute - SSI - has not accepted his conclusions.
> Lars Persson
> Slånbärsv 11A
> 19334 Sigtuna
> 08-568 219 26
>
> 0708-297100

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."