[ RadSafe ] " Chernobyl wildlife baffles biologists "

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Jun 11 01:58:57 CDT 2007

Dan W McCarn wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Packs of wolves?  I think "packs of feral dogs" are far more likely and in
> keeping with my own observations near the zone.  I took a series of rabies
> shots (preventative) because the feral dogs were so numerous and aggressive.

Rabies shots is a good idea when working there. I did the same. Also
encounters with groups of wild boar can be unpleasant, and there are
also ticks which may carry meningitis.

> Most of the radioactive materials (Cs + Sr) concentrate in the humus layer
> of the forest soils since it has a high cation exchange capacity.  The clays
> of the agricultural soils also have a high cation exchange capacity and tend
> to irreversibly adsorb Cs + Sr so that they are not as biologically
> available.

There is hardly such thing as irreversible adsorption, certainly not for
Sr; the desorption rate may be low though. Most soils of the region are
of "polyeskoe" type, i.e. low clay content, very sandy.
The reason for initially low mobility is that a large fraction
(regionally different) of the radionuclides was contained in hot
particles, and are set free (by weathering of the particles) only slowly.

pb

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."