[ RadSafe ] DU Tomatoes

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Tue Jun 19 04:24:16 CDT 2007

Tony,

I saw a post where you appear to be saying that Iraqis are being told don't eat the tomatoes because of DU.  I have copied an international radiation protection list.  I hope that you decide to seek more information because it is highly unlikely that there is any tomato connection to DU or even enough DU in the soil to merit being concerned if there were.  Now, I will let the experts discuss this.

I attended a labor breakfast this morning that featured the heads of the Iraq oil and electrical unions and asked a question about DU. They said that in the south of the country, citizens are told not to eat tomatoes because of DU poisoning.  They also said they are fighting foreign privatization of their resources

I rather wonder who is pushing this information into the hands of the people.  It certainly is not anyone who is interested in their well being. I also wonder why you would ask a question about DU and how you phrased it.  Do you think that you are doing the people of Iraq a service by doing so?

Roger Helbig