[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] Czech government dismisses Austrian criticism over nuclear plant

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Tue Jun 19 15:20:14 CDT 2007

Czech government dismisses Austrian criticism over nuclear plant
Russia's first nuclear power reactor goes into operation in China
Owners warn of tremors at nuclear waste dump site
Ireland's Ryan welcomes nuclear energy debate
DOE releases design requirements for nuclear transport canisters
Bush to visit Browns Ferry nuclear plant
Few support nuclear power: Australian poll

Czech government dismisses Austrian criticism over nuclear plant

Vienna- The Czech government dismissed Austrian reservations about
the fulfilment of the Melk agreement on the Czech nuclear power plant
Temelin in a diplomatic note for Austrian Chancellor Alfred
Gusenbauer sent.

The Czech position, passed to Gusenbauer by Czech ambassador Jan
Koukal, repeats that the objectives arising from the Melk agreement
have been fulfilled.

The note, signed by Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek and Foreign
Minister Karel Schwarzenberg, says that the Czech position was based
on the principle that "chosen technical solutions for the
construction of nuclear power plants can differ, while it cannot be
absolutely said that some of them were less safe."

"It has turned out in the global horizon that continuous work on
improvement of technical standards is the only criterion of quality.
The Czech authorities have been conducting this work in their most
vested interest," the diplomatic note said.

The Czech note reacts to the letter sent to Topolanek by Gusenbauer
and Austrian Environment Minister Josef Proell on June 4.

In it, Austria called on the Czech government to conduct talks about
the questions relating to Temelin's safety that are still open. The
sending of the letter was recommended to the Austrian government by a
commission of legal experts who were considering lodging an
international complaint against the Czech Republic.

The commission arrived at the conclusion that the lawsuit was all but
impossible.

The Czech note informs the Austrian government that in reaction to an
Austrian expert report, the Czech government asked Czech experts to
draw up their own report that would be made available to Vienna.

"Both documents can be used for debates in the existing inter-
parliamentary working group," the Czech note said.

The Czech government voices the belief that is not acting contrary
to, but in the spirit of the Melk process.

The Czech Republic says it has fulfilled all tasks agreed on in the
Austrian town of Melk.

Austrian activists say Temelin, situated some 60 km away from
Austria, is not safe and that the Czech Republic breaches agreements
on the plant the two countries have reached.
--------------------

Russia's first nuclear power reactor goes into operation in China

BEIJING (AFP) - Russia's first nuclear reactor in China has finally
gone into commercial operation after numerous delays and a second
will begin production by year's end, Russian officials said Tuesday.

"The Tianwan nuclear power plant is a very big Russian-Chinese
project," Ivan Kamenskikh, vice head of the Federal Atomic Energy
Agency of Russia, told journalists via video phone from Moscow.

"Our first reactor has gone into operation, we can't say it happened
very quickly, but on the other hand, it didn't take a very long time
either. Experts from both nations have overcome a lot of technical
issues."

The two nations agreed to build the 3.3-billion-dollar pressurised
water nuclear plant in eastern China's Jiangsu province in 1997.

The second phase of the project, also to include two 1,000 megawatt
reactors, is currently under discussion, Kamenskikh said.

The number one nuclear reactor at the plant, the 10th to go into
commercial operation in China, formally went online on June 2, while
the number two reactor is currently undergoing test operations.

China plans to have up to 40 gigawatts of installed nuclear power by
2020, meaning that it will need to build around 30 more 1,000
megawatt reactors in the world's fastest-paced nuclear power buildup.

China has joined several other nations in seeking to further develop
nuclear power, including India, Russia and the United States, partly
due to the concerns of global warming, but also to offset its
dependency on coal.

Western nations like France, the United States and Canada, have
competed with Russia for China's nuclear power market, while the
nation is also developing its own indigenous industry.

"We hope that we can get the go-ahead on the third and fourth
reactors (at Tianwan) and start up a new phase of cooperation,"
Kamenskikh said.

"As far as China's plans to install 40 gigawatts, I think our
competitiveness is strong, we have succeeded at Tianwan ... so of
course we hope to get involved in other projects in China."

Sergey Shmatko, president of AtomStroyExport, Russia's exporter of
nuclear power plants, the Russian side would supply uranium for the
two reactors and a similar arrangement would be negotiated for the
next two reactors.

"Russia's advantage is that as we build nuclear power plants, we also
ensure the supply of nuclear fuel," he said.

"If we can secure the third and fourth reactors, we will also seek to
reach a deal on the supply of nuclear fuel."

The price of uranium has jumped dramatically in recent years as
Russia, the United States, China and India all announced long-term
nuclear energy that look to greatly boost the demand for nuclear
fuel.

Joint design plans by Russian and Chinese experts for the next two
reactors are to be completed by the end of the year, he said.

Shmatko also said Russia was pondering working with China to develop
nuclear power plants abroad.

"If we can reach an agreement on the third and fourth reactors, we
will begin to research the possibility of cooperating with China to
build nuclear power plants in third countries," Shmatko said.

Egypt has already expressed an interest in both Russian and Chinese
nuclear power plants and is seen as a possible recipient of such
joint cooperation.

"The first and second reactors at Tianwan will enter commercial
operation by the end of the year. This is a very big step and
provides a very good and important basis for future cooperation," Luo
Jianhang, the Russia representative of the China National Nuclear
Corp, said.

"We still have a lot of work to do, but from what we have done we
have a bright future."
----------------

Owners warn of tremors at nuclear waste dump site

TREMORS have twice been felt in a proposed Northern Territory site
for a nuclear waste dump site, according to Aboriginal owners.

"The last one registered 2.5 on the Richter scale," traditional owner
and Warramunga-Warlmanpa woman Dianne Stokes from the Muckaty Land
Trust told a meeting of non-government organisations in Melbourne on
Monday night.

Two weeks ago, the other members of the trust - with the backing of
the Northern Land Council - secretly negotiated a deal under which
the Federal Government would pay $12 million to use the 2241-square-
kilometre Muckaty Station as Australia's first national nuclear waste
dump.

Ms Stokes, an elected spokeswoman for the Warramunga and Warlmanpa
tribes, said the deal was made by just one of the 16 family groupings
represented on the trust.

The Northern Land Council failed to listen to the other families, she
said.

Ms Stokes, a mother of six, was one of four traditional owners of
four proposed nuclear waste sites in the Northern Territory who spoke
at a public meeting at Melbourne's Trade Hall Council on Monday
night.

"I came here with all my spirits from my ancestors to keep my country
alive," she said.

Ms Stokes, who lives just half an hour's drive from the site of a
proposed nuclear waste dump at Muckaty, said it would kill the area
environmentally and culturally.

The surrounding country was a source of bush tucker and a place of
burials in both the ground and trees, which were home to ancestral
spirits, she said.

Priscilla Williams, a member of the Hart Range community, the site of
another proposed dump, said the community closest to Muckaty Station
had a primary school that got its water from a river which ran around
the proposed site.

While the Federal Government had insisted there had never been an
accident with a nuclear waste dump anywhere, "we're worried about
what will happen if our water gets poisoned because we get it from
under the ground", Ms Williams said.

The delegation briefed the Wilderness Society and called on state
premiers to oppose a national nuclear waste dump.
-----------------

Ireland's Ryan welcomes nuclear energy debate

The new Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources,
Eamon Ryan, has said he would welcome a debate about nuclear energy
in Ireland.

Speaking at his first public engagement, Minister Ryan said he did
not believe nuclear power would be the answer to Ireland's future
energy needs but he did believe a public debate on the issue would be
helpful.

The minister was responding to questions about last night's RTÉ
documentary, 'Future Shock: End of the Oil Age', which examined
possible scenarios in the event of a future energy crisis.
-----------------

DOE releases design requirements for nuclear transport canisters

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Energy Department announced design requirements
Tuesday for canisters to transport radioactive waste to Nevada and
store it in the planned Yucca Mountain national nuclear dump.

The agency envisions vendors competing to produce canisters dubbed
"TAD"s - short for transportation, aging and disposal - between 15
1/2 feet and 17 1/2 feet long and weighing a maximum of 54.25 tons
each.

Some 7,500 of the TAD canisters would be needed to fill the dump to
its proposed 77,000-ton capacity. They would be shipped by rail from
commercial reactor sites in some 39 states.

It's the latest announcement by the Energy Department in planning for
the troubled Yucca Mountain repository, 90 miles northwest of Las
Vegas. The project has been delayed by scientific controversies,
money shortages, and opposition from Nevada officials including Sen.
Harry Reid, D-Nev., now the Senate majority leader.

Originally targeted to open in 1998, the best-case opening date for
Yucca Mountain is now 2017. It would be the nation's first federal
nuclear waste dump and would receive some 50,000 tons of radioactive
waste already piled up at power plants around the country.

Earlier plans had called for transporting waste to handling
facilities at the desert site, then putting it into different
containers for underground storage. The TAD concept emerged in
October 2005 and the Energy Department will now invite vendors to
come up with designs.

"This was somewhat of a difficult birthing within the program," said
Christopher A. Kouts, director of the waste management office at the
Energy Department's Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management.

"We did quite a bit of homework and hopefully we've developed a
specification that will meet our needs," he told a meeting of the
Nuclear Regulatory Commission's Advisory Committee on Nuclear Waste.

Kouts declined to say how much a TAD might cost, saying that would be
part of the procurement process with vendors. He anticipates having
canisters available to utilities in four or five years.

Yucca Mountain can't open until the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
grants the Energy Department a license. The department plans to
submit its license application a year from now and incorporate the
TAD approach even if individual designs from vendors aren't ready.

Many nuclear utilities are in litigation with the Energy Department
because the department was contractually obligated to begin accepting
their radioactive waste beginning in 1998. The federal agency will
seek to modify some utility contracts to include their acquisition of
the transport canisters, Kouts said.

The canisters could be used to store waste at reactor sites before
transport to Yucca Mountain, or could be taken directly there.

The canisters would hold spent fuel rods from commercial nuclear
reactors and could accommodate different types of fuel rod
assemblies, either 21 pressurized water reactor assemblies or 44
boiling water reactor assemblies.
----------------

Bush to visit Browns Ferry nuclear plant

President George W. Bush will tour the recently restarted Browns
Ferry Nuclear Plant Unit 1 reactor Thursday in Limestone County, his
White House press office confirmed Monday.

"At 1:15 p.m. the president will tour Unit 1 and then deliver remarks
on the nation´s energy initiative," said the spokesman.

The president is in North Alabama to attend a 5:05 p.m. Friends of
Jeff Sessions meeting.

Tennessee Valley Authority spokesman Terry Johnson said the
president´s security detail has been making extensive preparations
for the trip, including making some areas of the site inaccessible to
employees while the president and his entourage are in the area.

"We´re just pleased the president is to visit us in appreciation of
the work that we´ve done in restarting Unit 1," Johnson said.
"Another thing, we appreciate our employees and contract partners for
the their work and dedication on the project and congratulate them on
the successful restart of Unit 1.

As of Monday morning, all three units were operating at 100 percent
power, Johnson said.
------------------

Few support nuclear power: Australian poll

Few Australians support nuclear power and clean coal as the best
technologies to combat climate change, a survey shows.

The research by left-wing think tank The Australia Institute
discovered only 19 per cent preferred the Federal Government´s focus
on those energy sources.

Seventy-four per cent favoured a greenhouse strategy based mainly on
energy efficiency and renewable energy. Among coalition voters, 60
per cent supported renewable energy and 35 per cent nuclear power or
clean coal. The poll also found 77 per cent preferred to get their
electricity from a renewable power source, while 8 per cent favoured
nuclear power and one per cent coal.

Solar energy was the most popular of the renewable resources - chosen
by 50 per cent of respondents. The online survey had 1034
respondents.

"This survey proves there is overwhelming support for a greenhouse
strategy that gives greater prominence to energy efficiency and
renewable energy," institute deputy director Andrew Macintosh said.

Sander C. Perle
President
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at cox.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/