[ RadSafe ] RE: [cdn-nucl-l] Rise & Fall of the IFR

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Wed Jun 20 23:14:55 CDT 2007

Marek:

         Yes, it's the rising temperature of the fuel.
The core configuration in an IFR is such that only
a moderate rise in temperature is needed to
increase the neutron leakage enough to bring the
reactor subcritical without control-rod movement.

         The IFR fuel, being metallic, is a good heat
conductor, which means that the temperature
profile through the fuel pin is very much flatter
than is the case with an oxide (or other ceramic)
fuel pin, and therefore there is little stored
heat to be dissipated if coolant pumping power is
lost.   Consequently, cooling by convective flow
of the sodium keeps the temperature of the fuel
well below its melting point.

         Does this help?

                 George