[ RadSafe ] Tracor Analytic gamma well counter de-commisioning

Kulp, Jeffrey B kulpjb at wsu.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:26:52 CDT 2007

All,

            I have to de-commission a Tracor Analytic Model 1185 gamma
well counter for surplus. Does anyone have information on this counter
like what isotope and activity the internal check source is, and what
the transport system looks like for the check source? There is a large
lead shielded pig at the back of the unit. I assume this is where the
check source is located, but it would be good to know the easiest method
of extracting the check source prior to disassembly.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Kulp

Health Physicist

Washington State University