Public Opinion & Nuclear Project --Re: AW: [ RadSafe ] AsburyPark Press on Mangano's press conference

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 15:44:12 CDT 2007

As you note:

". . . plus some mismanaged construction planning, and
some good old fashioned NY State featherbedding by
construction unions just to round out the brew."

Profits were lost before the plant was operational.
Economics appears to be the driving force here.

And you quote is from the cartoon strip Pogo that I
used to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo#.22We_have_met_the_enemy.....22

--- stewart farber <radproject at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The plant mentioned by Bob on Long Island was the
> Shoreham NPP. It wasn't
> just LITERALLY ready to begin producing power, but
> had gone through low
> power testing. It operated at 5% power for a few
> weeks in the late 1980s as
> I recall, just long enough to crap up the plant
> systems and make
> decommissioning absurdly expensive.
>
> The plant was shutdown by pressure from New York
> State. LILCO [Long Island
> Lighting Company] received some kind of substantial
> financial compensation
> from the taxpayers of the state of NY [the cost was
> so large it had to be
> spread over all residents of NY State via taxation]
> as well as long-term
> payment to the utility from ratepayers. The job of
> decommissioning the plant
> fell to the New York Power Authority. I don't know
> how much it cost to
> decommission Shoreham,  but $1 billion is probably
> in the ballpark [again
> paid for by taxpayers and ratepayers].
>
> Of note, Shoreham and Vermont Yankee were sister BWR
> plants in design [ 660
> MW[e] units].  Both started construction in 1967. VY
> began commercial
> operation in 1972 after 5 years of
> construction--on-time and on-budget
> [about $600 million total]. Shoreham began low power
> testing at 5% in 1988,
> due to a combination of opposition from the public
> and legislators in Long
> Island delaying the plant, delay until the TMI
> accident in 1979 forced
> further delays for plant mods, plus some mismanaged
> construction planning,
> and some good old fashioned NY State featherbedding
> by construction unions
> just to round out the brew. Final price tag for
> Shoreham was $6 billion, 10
> times the price of VY at $600 million for a sister
> plant. WOW! $6 billion
> for a plant that was never allowed to enter
> commercial operation when it was
> ready.  What a mess. Long Island has the highest
> power costs in the US and
> the local politicians blame everyone but themselves.
>  Don't get me started.
>
> They should remember the quote from Peanuts: "We
> have met the enemy, and
> they are us."
>
> A cool and Happy Summer to all. May everyone avoid
> brownouts and blackouts.
>
> Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
> Consulting Scientist
> Farber Technical Services
> 1285 Wood Ave.
> Bridgeport, CT 06604
> [203] 441-8433 [office]
> [203] 522-2817 [cell]
> email: radproject at sbcglobal.net

=== message truncated ===

“All men dream, but not equally. Some dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds and wake in the day to find it is vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com