[ RadSafe ] Dompanies looking for employees

davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 26 20:53:27 CDT 2007

To all prospective employees, employers, employment agencies, and consulting firms concerning employment.

Franz, wrote “I doubt that there are many who subscribe to this list. I would guess about 600, the majority just
"lurk." Those who write are certainly in the minority.
Because there are so few writers and the same issues
arise, the same responses are repeated.”

I posted my first comment last week after lurking for years. Here is another.

This I believe is a new issue. I think that it applies to a vast majority of people on the site. It concerns both people looking for employment and companies looking to hire employees.

Please DO NOT use vague locations such as West coast, East coast, or Central, etc. By using such vague terms it leads me and I’m sure others to believe the company has something to hide that they know is a determent to employees, therefore I do not even ask the company their location or name and just pass it.

1.	Some of these locations have a coast of living which is ridiculous given the other areas. It is one thing to earn $40,000/yr and live reasonably, it is another to earn $60,000/yr and live in an undesirable area (poverty level). Example: Earning $15,000/yr USA dollars living in Mexico verses $15,000/yr living in the USA.
.
2.	There are some of these areas where the CRIME rate is ridiculous. One such area in the USA I was in for about an hour almost reminded of a war zone Yes I was in Vietnam and know a war zone.

3.	Weather is another factor. Some people enjoy the colder weather and sports. Then there are some who don’t like cold weather at all or have medical problems that are affected by extremes of temperature either heat or cold.

4.	Population and traffic. Some people thrive on the big city life with all the night clubs, shopping, etc. Then there are others who loath such living and the commute time that goes with it.

Then there are some areas of the country where 2 or more of the above items come into consideration. I’m leaving out any specific areas so I don’t step on any tender toes. Other Radsafers feel free to expand on the reasons for specifying the site and/or location.

These vague locations have been mentioned in many sites where I have looked for employment.

Hopefully, these firms, agencies, and any company that hire them will correct this problem, This will benefit both employees looking for work and companies looking for employees. This benefits the companies because any employee hired who has a big problem with the area for whatever reason will probably end up being a temporary employee who will leave in a short period of time. This will be very costly to a company since they now have to go through the hiring process again and train the replacement employee for their company and all associated expenses.

One last item having to do with the cover letter and resume. I do not include items which can lead to identify theft and insert wording to the effect upon request. This applies to SSN, DOB and complete employment history. Is this common practice, or am I a minority?

David Helton, Aiken, SC