[ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Thu Jun 28 14:01:07 CDT 2007

Am241 and Pu238Be both work fine in logging applications. World events have
made Pu a nono and Am241 is no longer available domestically. At the moment
all of the Am241 is coming from foreign sources. We are continuing to
attempt to get DOE to recycle Am241 from sources collected under the OSRP
program but have not yet accomplished that. It's really sad that thousands
of curies of Am-241 will be buried that could help solve the Am-241
shortfall.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391