[MbrExchange] Re: [ RadSafe ] Scientific Consensus

RuthWeiner at aol.com RuthWeiner at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 11:25:39 CDT 2007

Professor Hank Jenkins-Smith (Texas A&M) gave a first-rate talk at Sandia a
couple of weeks ago (I know Hank quite well and in my opinion he is the only
social scientist who does it right when investigating attitudes toward nukes).
Hank made several interesting points:

1.  His surveys (and he does them right) show that the public estimates of
the risks of nuclear power have not changed significantly in the last 15 or so
years, but the public assessment of the benefits of nukes is becoming
increasingly favorable.  The reason seems to be not only global climate change but
brownouts, oil and natural gas prices, and similar stresses.  People do a sort of
intuitive cost benefit analysis and as the benefits (or perception of them)
increases, attitudes change.

2.  For the hard core enviros.  being anti-nuke appears to be a core tenet of
a semi-religion, and we are not going to change these folks.

I came away with three thoughts:

1.  We (including the NRC) are somewhat wasting our time tryng to convince
people that the risks are insignificant and spend our time explaining (but not
promoting!!) the benefits.
2.  The environmental leadership created the enviro religion, with all its
"core beliefs" and I believe did it cynically, deliberately, and in full
knowledge that it would become the "opiate of the masses."  I have little respect for
Patrick Moore and Stewart Brand; had they been honest, they would have quit
20 years ago when I did.  Instead they spent those decades (!) promoting the
religion and now are jumping ship.
3. PLEASE let us not make a religion out of global climate change!  Once it
is a belief system, there is no way to ask questions any more, and there are
still plenty of questions.

As you all know, I believe that "nukes are good, coal is bad" is a sure
loser.  I don't believe the deaths from coal burning any more than I believe the
deaths from low-level radiation.  Coal plants are a whole lot cleaner than they
were 30 years ago, and mine safety has hugely improved (it's still extremely
dangerous, but then, so is working with very radioactive material if you aren't
careful).  Moreover, let's face it, we are going to burn coal, or gasify it,
or do solvent extraction and burn the products.  So let's manage the
environmental effects.

 Emissions trading doesn't reduce anything, but makes good money for the
traders.  Forcing a state like New Mexico to get a fraction of electricity from
"renewables" (including biomass which produces more CO2 per BTU, not less, than
coal) does nothing except make electricity more expensive.  And so on.

End of rant

Ruth

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner at aol.com