[ RadSafe ] Helen Caldicott [ Ombudsman access ]

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 21 18:34:49 CDT 2007

Hi Jeff [and others wanting to attempt to ensure balanced coverage of any
issue],

Keep in mind that every "news" outlet has someone on staff designated by
their organization to serve as their "ombudsman". Don't be reluctant to call
and discuss your concerns with this individual. I have found such a
discussion often results in the opportunity to express an alternate point of
view as with space for an "op-ed" column for print media, or other reply
possibilities for broadcast media such as TV or radio.

If any particular media outlet regulated by the FCC fails to correct errors
of fact or emphasis, or to provide balanced coverage,  this failing can be
brought up at the annual review of its license by the FCC of a TV or radio
station being allowed to broadcast [at least that was how it was handled
some years ago] when it solicits public input on the stations performance
during the previous period of its operation.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.