[ RadSafe ] RE: extremism (article referencing scientists on global warming effect on Australia)

Johansen, Kjell Kjell.Johansen at nmcco.com
Fri Mar 23 13:58:20 CDT 2007

That warming period is not exactly applicable to today's situation.  The
CO2 concentrations then were at about 50-70% of what they are now.  So,
until we can understand the reason for the warming in terms of the
operable parameters when it occurred,  we will not know how to properly
devise a mechanism to explain it.   If we postulate that the brief
warming period were due to increased solar output, then the warming
effect would be greater this time around due to the higher atmospheric
CO2 concentration.  Another consideration is the effect of "freshening"
the ocean with glacial water.  Changing the currents due to an influx of
fresh water could lead to erosion of oceanic sediments off the East
Coast.  There are tons of methane trapped in the sediments there.  Also,
warming the Arctic can release the vast amount of methane stored in the
'frozen tundra."  With CH4 having 16x the greenhouse forcing of CO2,
this global warming feedback looks really bad.  As they used to say on
Star Trek, the weather will be "going where no man has gone before."

Kjell Johansen
Point Beach

All opinions express are absolutely my own and my not be those of my
employer.