[ RadSafe ] Re: Terror in the US & world at large

Shawn Hughes (Road2) srh at esper.com
Sun Mar 4 17:45:28 CST 2007

"Security"/TSA goon squads"

As a person peripherially in the Homeland Security Field, I have tried to
stay clear of this discussion. I find it interesting that many of the
professionals on this board grow quickly incensed when others outside of
their profession start offering opinons on their field. Yet, many of you are
doing the exact same thing right now to security professionals. In fact, to
some of you we are no more than 'goons'. Are we goons when we find things
capable of taking YOUR flight out of the sky?

Are we goons when we develop new technology, maybe not THE answer, but at
least showing we are making an effort to do something?

Those of you that think "leaving them alone abroad" or similar pap are very,
very ignorant of the past 100 years of terrorism. So that you can't say
noone knowledgeable told you, there is a slowly coalescing group of people
who want to kill you (yes, *you* ) based on no more than where your passport
was issued.

Remaining silent and impartial about events in SouthWest Asia makes as much
sense as the US staying out of WWII.

I realize this is a worldwide list. I assume by the responses there are few
radiation professionals in Ireland and Botswana, because those people would
tell you volumes about sticking your head in the sand as long as terrorism
isn't affecting you on a personal level.

I am disappointed by the lack of interest in security on this forum. All of
you should understand, painfully, what happens when you have weak security
and someone takes advantage of it.

I'll return to lurking, because occasionally there is data here important to
what I do.

I remain,

-Shawn

Shawn R. Hughes
Special Projects Consultant
near Oak Ridge, Tennessee
[suppressed] telephone
 <mailto:srh at esper.com> srh at esper.com primary email
[suppressed] fledgling webpage

WARNING AND NOTICE:
This email may contain privileged information. If it is not addressed to you
by me, you do not have the right to read or use it. If you do not get a
prompt reply to your email from me, it is because I have set filtering very
high due to the age of my account. Please try an alternate form of
messaging.

UNCLASSIFIED

END TEXT