[ RadSafe ] radiation fear strikes again ?

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Mon Mar 5 17:47:48 CST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Franta, Jaroslav
Sent: Mon 3/5/2007 10:30 AM
To: Radsafe (E-mail)

<SNIP>
The ultraviolet imaging spectrometer--Alice--kicked off
needlessly during the approach to the planet, costing star-occultation data
on the atmospheres of some of Jupiter's moons.
"We should never have trip wires and set points for safety lower than they
need to be," says New Horizons Principal Investigator Alan Stern. "We sort
of stubbed our toe by not thinking it through well enough."

<SNIP>

Right Jaro,

The "radiation fear" paradigm all over.

"Radiation protection" continues to do it by orders of magnitude. :-)

Regards, Jim