[ RadSafe ] Helen Caldicott

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 21 16:08:07 CDT 2007

At 11:44 AM 3/21/2007, Jeff Terry wrote:
>Could someone give me some background information on Helen Caldicott?
March 21, 2007

Helen Caldicott, whom I have met personally and heard speak at an
antinuclear event, has dedicated her life to attacking all nuclear
technology. In her autobiography ("A Desperate Passion"), which I
have read, she says she was frightened by a book called "On the
Beach" by Neville Shute which she read when a teenager, and her whole
career has been an extension that experience. Although she obtained a
medical degree in Australia in her youth, she only attempted to
practice medicine for a short time before embarking on her personal
lifetime career to rid the world of all things nuclear. (She is about
70 years old.) She will twist any issue and exaggerate any risk to
accomplish her purpose. But she has no training in and only very
limited knowledge of radiobiology, radiation safety, nuclear physics,
radiochemistry, or environmental biology. She claims that radiation
risk is a medical issue and she can speak about it because she has a
medical degree. I believe that HER REAL PURPOSE IS TO GET ATTENTION
FOR HER ANTI-NUCLEAR CAUSE BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE!  She will go to any
extreme, make any scary claim, and pretend any authority of knowledge
to accomplish her purpose. I do not believe that she is a reliable
source of information about radiation risks or  the possible medical
effects of radiation.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140