[ RadSafe ] RE: extremism

Bob Casparius caspar at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Mar 22 13:57:59 CDT 2007

The National Climate Data Center even says that any increase in water vapor
in the atmosphere is due to increases in atmospheric temperature.
Therefore, the increased atmospheric temperature must be due to something
other than increased water vapor. And if there is increased water vapor in
the atmosphere it is due to increased atmospheric temp.

The following is from http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/gases.html

"Water Vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere, which
is why it is addressed here first. However, changes in its concentration is
also considered to be a result of climate feedbacks related to the warming
of the atmosphere rather than a direct result of industrialization. The
feedback loop in which water is involved is critically important to
projecting future climate change, but as yet is still fairly poorly
measured and understood.

As the temperature of the atmosphere rises, more water is evaporated from
ground storage (rivers, oceans, reservoirs, soil). Because the air is
warmer, the relative humidity can be higher (in essence, the air is able to
'hold' more water when its warmer), leading to more water vapor in the
atmosphere. As a greenhouse gas, the higher concentration of water vapor is
then able to absorb more thermal IR energy radiated from the Earth, thus
further warming the atmosphere. The warmer atmosphere can then hold more
water vapor and so on and so on. This is referred to as a 'positive
feedback loop'. However, huge scientific uncertainty exists in defining the
extent and importance of this feedback loop. As water vapor increases in
the atmosphere, more of it will eventually also condense into clouds, which
are more able to reflect incoming solar radiation (thus allowing less
energy to reach the Earth's surface and heat it up). The future monitoring
of atmospheric processes involving water vapor will be critical to fully
understand the feedbacks in the climate system leading to global climate
change. As yet, though the basics of the hydrological cycle are fairly well
understood, we have very little comprehension of the complexity of the
feedback loops. Also, while we have good atmospheric measurements of other
key greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane, we have poor
measurements of global water vapor, so it is not certain by how much
atmospheric concentrations have risen in recent decades or centuries,
though satellite measurements, combined with balloon data and some in-situ
ground measurements indicate generally positive trends in global water vapor."

The website: http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

That Steven Dapra sites appears to be promoting coal as an energy source,
which is another source of CO2 when burned. This makes you wonder if they
are not bias in their presentation of global warming. Check out the
discussion of strip mining:

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/StripMiner.html

Bob