[ RadSafe ] GM vs ion chamber for dose measurement (UNCLASSIFIED)

Cary Renquist cary_rdsfe at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 23 12:37:21 CDT 2007

The tissue equivalent urem is useful, but...
Caveat Emptor:
The tissue equivalent microrem/h meter is still a
pulse mode device --
like a GM.
Like a GM -- it tends to overestimate the dose from
lower energy sources
(it is probably much better than a NaI microrem meter,
but not better
than an ion chamber).

Measuring Gd-153 (two ~100 keV photons) with a tissue
equivalent
microrem will give a reading ~50% higher than an ion
chamber (ion
chamber and microrem both calibrated to Cs-137).

Also, there are safety issues for not using pulse-mode
dose rate meters
-- I'm not going to grab a GM-based dose rate meter or
a pulse-mode urem
if I am checking out potentially high dose rate
fields.

A person with one type of dose rate meter is always
sure of their
exposure, a person with two is never quite sure.

Best regards,
Cary