[ RadSafe ] The use of K-40

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Wed Mar 28 10:44:58 CDT 2007

1. In the U.S. K-39 was separated from K-40/K-41 in the Oak Ridge calutrons (WWII centrifuges) before they were shut down.

2. Yes. Oak Ridge recovered K-39 used in experiments because it was costly.  I was informed that, around 1982-84, Argonne ordered a small quantity (one day's production) of K-39 for about $75,000.

3. It was more for the use of K with K-40 removed (K-39). This would be much easier than trying to get "pure" K-40 (which would include K-41) with the carry-over of a lot of K-39.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide