[ RadSafe ] Clarification : Validity / Usefulness . . .

Earley, Jack N Jack_N_Earley at RL.gov
Wed May 2 13:50:30 CDT 2007

I knew something was bothering me about this question--it depends on the
purpose of your sampling. Are you looking at an environmental release
sample set, something applicable to daily operations, or confirmation of
non-detectability? That has to determine your reasons for inclusion or
exclusion. For example, if I find a radiation area in a parking lot I'm
going to shut down a calibration facility until they hang lead shielding
(been there, done that), and I have less concern about the variability
on the instrument I'm using (assuming it's properly calibrated).

If I'm looking at soil samples to release an area for unrestricted use,
or verifying the integrity of sealed sources, my criteria go way up. If
I'm not happy with the accuracy of my results, I can change
instruments/detectors for more accuracy.

On the other hand (the economist side of me), I can also disregard a 350
mR/h exposure rate when determining the collective dose for a given job
(12 mR/h without the outlier) --its presence in the sample doesn't
necessarily make it significant.

Jack Earley
Health Physicist
509.372.9532