[ RadSafe ] Port gets dirty-bomb detectors

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed May 9 16:10:47 CDT 2007

  May 9

         Perhaps somewhat more to the point, what would be the purpose of
putting a dirty bomb in a shipping container, and (presumably) rigging it
to explode in the port area?  To be effective at spreading chaos, doesn't a
dirty bomb have to be exploded in an area occupied every day by thousands
of members of the general public?  The whole purpose is to make an oft-used
area un-inhabitable for as many people as possible, and for as long as
possible.  My guess would be that dirty bombs are going to be made by
domestic crazies for use near where they are made, not shipped in from
overseas.

         Nevertheless, Clayton, you make a good point about the
impracticality of scanning all those shipping containers.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com