[ RadSafe ] DU Proven Deadly To Human Bronchial Cells

Bob Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Thu May 10 13:18:19 CDT 2007

Physicists love to do "back of the envelope (order of magnitude)
calculations":

>From the ATSDR: "People eat about 1-2 micrograms (0.6-1.0 picocuries) of
natural uranium every day with their food and take in about 1.5 micrograms
(0.8 picocuries) of natural uranium for every liter of water they drink, but
they breathe in much lower amounts."

Reference man has a mass of 70 kg.

The article indicates concentrations on the order of 10 ppm.

Daily intake related to body mass looks to be about 0.01 ppm, three to four
orders of magnitude less than the concentration in the study.

I don't have the information handy but I seem to remember that reference man
always has about 0.1 microgram of uranium in his body for a concentration of
about 0.001 ppm = 1 ppb.

In any event the study apparently does not represent realistic
concentrations, even for someone hit by friendly fire.

Lunch time is over. Back to work.

Bob C