[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Material, Commerce, and DOT Regulations

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Fri May 11 17:05:08 CDT 2007

Happy Friday,

I have a question about individuals carrying around radioactive material
in their own or company vehicles. Does *everyone* carrying radioactive
material on public roadways have to comply with all the DOT regulations?
I'm thinking about people like the sales person who brought an ECD
containing Ni-63 with him to install on one of our electron microscopes.
Or the sales man who carries a check source to demonstrate the survey
meters he's selling. The guy driving around with the moisture density
gauge in his van or the source radiography operators? Someone who throws
a generally licensed exit sign or a radium dial clock in their trunk.

Are these people breaking the law? Looking at the definition of
"commerce", I think they are.

Comments please. Thanks in advance. Have a great weekend.

Donald P. Mercado

Radiation Safety Officer

Explosives Safety Officer

Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company

O/9K-2S, B/157

1111 Lockheed Martin Way

Sunnyvale, CA 94089

Ph. (408) 742-0759

Fx. (408) 756-0504

Don.Mercado at lmco.com

safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW!!! -- What a Ride!!!"