[ RadSafe ] AW: Museum Specimens

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue May 15 09:43:13 CDT 2007

Dear Rob,

Thank you for this explanation, which I admit I had not thought of. Because
my messages to RADSAFE are monitored I refrain from commenting on the
hysteria you describe - do people really behave like that in the USA? This
reminds me on WW II propaganda on both sides to look out for spies. Now it
would be dirty bombs or persons who had undergone nuclear medical
tests...... We had comments on RADSAFE on such events.

I can give you a good example for the contrary. A few years ago I visited
for the first time New Mexico with all its great sights from White Sands NM
to Taos etc. and of course the "atomic museum" at Albuquerque. They had a
beautiful large "stone" containing pitchblende there. I had my pocket dose
rate meter with me and I can tell you, that the reading was at least
comparable with the reading on my transcontinental flight. I joked with the
people at the museum, but it seems they did not even understand that this
piece of stone was radioactive.....

Another example: About two weeks ago plumbers called in order to check
whether my bathtube - you know, the one in which I separate the bomb-grade
plutonium from the irradiated fuel elements..... - was tight. They used a
fluorescent dye, most probably Eosin, and then tried to detect any leakage
by UV-light. I told them to direct their UV source to my collection of
uranium glasses and uranium ores - they were fascinated! When I explained to
them that this was due to uranium they did not shiver at all and until now I
have not been called for interrogations to the police. ("I have to
interrupt, because somebody is knocking on the door....")

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.