[ RadSafe ] Lord Marshall of Goring was Walter Marshall

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:09:59 CDT 2007

Hi Group:

I have redone my calculations to fit Walter Marshall's "English Garden". He
assumed 1/10 acre = 404.7 m^2 area.  I initially assumed 20x20m = 400m^2.  I
assumed only 0.25 m depth, but he assumed 1 meter. So my estimates are for
about 1/4 of the volume that he estimated.  I also assumed a bulk density of
2 Tonnes/m^3 which is probably "close-order".

So for "typical" Chattanooga Shale:

Assuming 100 mg/Kg (0.01% U), going back to the "garden" calculation of
source term: 404.7 m^2 x 1m @ 0.01% U gives me about 80 Kg of endowed U in
800 Tonnes (400 m^3) or a "typical" backyard where the children play... Just
for the Natural Uranium (238+235+234), that would be 54 mCi (2x10^9 Bq) per
garden not to mention the rest of the progeny. Total activity would be about
375 mCi per garden (1.4x10^10 Bq) for the entire uranium/radium series.

Shales are also high in potassium, so I expect that Marshall's value or
7,000 kg for potassium is low for the Chattanooga Shale.

So, next time I do a "garden" calculation, I will use the "English Garden"
definition of Walter Marshall.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston