[ RadSafe ] Any suggestions for a nuclear medicine wipe counter?

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Mon May 21 10:10:40 CDT 2007

Gary,

It looks like I-131 emits a 192 keV beta 89.4% of the time (as well as
various photons), so the efficiency for detection with a thin windowed GM
detector will likely be much greater than that for Tc-99m, which is not
associated with beta emissions (it's long-lived progeny Tc-99 is a beta
emitter, but Tc-99's specific activity is so low that this beta emission
would not typically be useful for detecting Tc-99m contamination in a
nuclear medicine program).

Many of the programs I worked at used gas flow proportional counters (thin
window or windowless) for detecting contamination; a sodium iodide or
similar detector  might be a bit better for radionuclides with essentially
only photon emissions like Tc-99m and I-125, but then you have the worry of
how to set up the detector for different energies of interest, e.g.,
maximizing efficiency and minimizing background and hopefully not having to
change settings for different radionuclides.

I think you will find that if you are only looking for I-131, a thin
windowed GM counter will meet your needs.

Cindy