[ RadSafe ] SEALED SOURCE DISPOSAL

Robert Young Robert.Young at state.tn.us
Thu May 24 10:47:45 CDT 2007

Ken,

I beg to differ with you, because unless the Device Distribution Authorization for the "GE
Vaportracer Detector" has been changed or modified lately, then this device can only be transferred as a General License Device (GLD). I would agree that the GLD is not tracked by Government Radiation Control Agencies in the USA (NRC, Agreement States, etc.) like an Industrial Radiography Source, but at the same time, this device is NOT exempt either (like a common Smoke Detector).

Sincerely,

Robert Young, HPS-II
(615) 532-0384
Tennessee Division of Radiological Health

PS: My comments are mine and mine alone. They may or may not be reflective of those of my employer.

>>> "Peterson, Ken" <KPeterson at MarinetteMarine.com> 5/24/07 10:16:32 AM >>>
Dear RadSafe List:

In the USA, there seems to be a new proliferation of explosive detectors
that use a sealed source for ionization.  I am purchasing a GE
Vaportracer Detector that contains a 10mCi Ni-63 sealed source.  While I
have determined that the device is exempt from licensing and leak
testing requirements, I am worried about disposing of the device at the
end of it's service.   What are the disposal requirements for sealed
sources?  It seems obvious to me that this equipment can't go to regular
landfill and must go to a disposal site for Low Level Radioactive Waste?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken Peterson
Safety/Environmental Engineer
Littoral Combat Ship Project