edmond0033 edmond0033 at comcast.net
Thu May 24 10:50:15 CDT 2007

I wonder if you are exempt from doing a leak test.  Check with the NRC or 
State, if it is an Agreement State.  Maybe the Company that sold it to you 
will take it back.  Otherwise you will have to send it to a Low-Level 
Radioactive Waste Site.

Ed Baratta
edmond0033 at comcast.net
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peterson, Ken" <KPeterson at MarinetteMarine.com>
To: <radsafe at radlab.nl>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:16 AM

Dear RadSafe List:

In the USA, there seems to be a new proliferation of explosive detectors
that use a sealed source for ionization.  I am purchasing a GE
Vaportracer Detector that contains a 10mCi Ni-63 sealed source.  While I
have determined that the device is exempt from licensing and leak
testing requirements, I am worried about disposing of the device at the
end of it's service.   What are the disposal requirements for sealed
sources?  It seems obvious to me that this equipment can't go to regular
landfill and must go to a disposal site for Low Level Radioactive Waste?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken Peterson
Safety/Environmental Engineer
Littoral Combat Ship Project
Marinette Marine
1600 Ely St.
Marinette, WI  54143
(715-735-9341 x6157

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the 
RadSafe rules. These can be found at: 

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: 

More information about the RadSafe mailing list