[ RadSafe ] Alpha to Beta Ratio Source Indication

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Tue May 29 09:10:43 CDT 2007

Tom,

Such ratios depend on analyses of site specific source terms, the sample
matrix being considered, and the instruments used for analyses (the latter
having to do with how a wide spectrum of beta energies are interpreted in
terms of activity for a specific instrument).  A review of the decay scheme
for uranium, for example, shows that the ratio of alpha to beta is about 1
through U-234, and about 2 through Ra-226.  (You might want to look at the
Rn-222 decay scheme, as well as consider Th and K;  I have a vague
recollection that depending on degrees of equilibrium, etc. the range of
alpha to beta in U and Th and Rn source terms is about 0.5 to
3).  Typically, actinides are alpha emitters, and typically fission
products are beta/gamma emitters, so when ratios are outside the 0.5 to 3
range, results are attributed to these material categories.  I've mostly
seen this ratio applied as one consideration in determining whether a
visitor's contamination is due to radon progeny or whether an air sample
reflects an increase in radon progeny or longer lived alpha emitters.

At radioactive material processing and waste storage sites, radioactive
materials can be brought together in a variety in a variety of ways and so
the rule of thumb regarding the likely origin of contamination should only
be considered as a piece of the puzzle, not as the whole picture.  Also,
I'm not sure that U, Th and their progeny would necessarily be considered
"natural" in the context of a DOE waste site;  it seems that would depend
on whether these materials originated from the geological formations at the
location of the site or whether these materials were brought to the site as
waste.

Cindy