[ RadSafe ] CT scans dangerous? -ALARA

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 8 11:54:56 CST 2007

Hi all,

I have not been following this thread carefully, and do not know if my point below has been made in some manner.

While ALARA, per se is not applied to the dose delivered in a given radiation diagnostic procedure, there is a real issue if there is significant total excess dose delivered to the US public due to the issue raised below.

In 1979, Dr.. John Villforth, then head of the FDA Bureau of Radiological Health [BRH], testified before Congress that by the FDA BRH estimate one-third of all medical radiation exposure was "unnecessary". Dr. Villforth was considering the problem with retakes due to use of improper technique, tests being ordered without proper indications for a given procedure,  etc., etc.

If Dr. Villforth's rough estimate still holds, fully one-third of all medical diagnostic radiation integrated dose yields no useful diagnostic information. This sum amounts to very approximately 2 million person-rem per year of "unnecessary" radiation dose in the US alone.

Does anyone have any information that Dr. Villforth's one-third "unnecessary" diagnostic radiation exposure is no longer applicable??

There is NO other source of excess useless radiation exposure to the US public than what Dr. Villforth cites. Is this excess radiation dose due to poor practice in medical applications in a broad sense ALARA? Should something be done or set as a goal to reduce "unneccessary" radiation exposure in diagnostic radiology?

As a simple comparison, the TMI accident caused about 1,000 person-rem of total integrated population exposure. Thus the excess wasted dose in routine medical testing per year cited by Dr. Villforth is equal to 2,000 TMI scale accidents per year in the US --year in year out.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Linac & Medical Instrumentation Brokerage
1285 Wood Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
[203] 441-8433 [Office]
[203] 522-2817 [Cell]