[ RadSafe ] Study Considers Children's Exposure to "Dirty Bomb"

Thu Nov 1 12:35:36 CDT 2007

While I don't disagree with the conclusion (even though I think it
boarders on the "Well, duh"), nor do I think it was a waste of time for
the research to be done, I don't think that it is overly productive to
present it in this way.  At a guess, I suspect that pretty much
everything about any terrorist attack will effect children differently
(and probably more strongly) than it will adults.

I would be surprised if a gas attack, like in Japan several years ago,
would not have greater short and long term effects on children than on
adults.  It is pretty much a given that many of the chemicals from
burning or collapsed buildings (mercury vapor from lights, for example)
would have more effect on children than adults.  I suspect that the
stress of the event affects children at least as deeply as it does
adults, and much of what some people think of as "the resiliency of
youth" is actually a lack of vocabulary.

I also don't see what those responding to a terrorist attack would do
differently in light of this information.