[ RadSafe ] CT scans dangerous?

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 22:02:21 CST 2007

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for the individual and combined exposures from a whole body SPECT/CT from a new 16 slice CT scanner, or a whole body PET/CT from a new 16 slice CT scanner?

  Roy Herren

"Brunkow, Ward" <ward.brunkow at wipp.ws> wrote:

Good issue to bring up. I think the answer is as it has been for
decades:
>ALARA principal is not observed well within the medical community
>Dr.s aren't trained well in radiation safety and therefore prescribe
diagnostic use freely
>I think the older CT scanners were giving 12 -20 Rem acute exposure at
times, especially upper and lower GI
>Not enough consideration given to rapidly dividing cells, young people
>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, money driven yet, not ethical to give
someone this exposure if there isn't significant benefit, especially
younger person, but have to keep those bucks coming in
>Too much "cook book" diagnosis in medical community yet, diagnostic
(therapeutic for that matter also) radiation exposure used too freely.
The Prescribe and move on to the next one.... premise....

W. G. (Ward) Brunkow
DOE Contractor (former Medical School RSO)