[ RadSafe ] CT scans dangerous?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 20:52:50 CST 2007

Roy,
I will check.  For your information, the new scanners
are 64 slice, with newer, developmental units hare 125
and 256 slice.  There are also two orthogonal x-ray
tube units.

--- ROY HERREN <royherren2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for the
> individual and combined exposures from a whole body
> SPECT/CT from a new 16 slice CT scanner, or a whole
> body PET/CT from a new 16 slice CT scanner?
>
>   Roy Herren
>
> "Brunkow, Ward" <ward.brunkow at wipp.ws> wrote:
>
> Good issue to bring up. I think the answer is as it
> has been for
> decades:
> >ALARA principal is not observed well within the
> medical community
> >Dr.s aren't trained well in radiation safety and
> therefore prescribe
> diagnostic use freely
> >I think the older CT scanners were giving 12 -20
> Rem acute exposure at
> times, especially upper and lower GI
> >Not enough consideration given to rapidly dividing
> cells, young people
> >$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, money driven yet, not
> ethical to give
> someone this exposure if there isn't significant
> benefit, especially
> younger person, but have to keep those bucks coming
> in
> >Too much "cook book" diagnosis in medical community
> yet, diagnostic
> (therapeutic for that matter also) radiation
> exposure used too freely.
> The Prescribe and move on to the next one....
> premise....
>

> W. G. (Ward) Brunkow
> DOE Contractor (former Medical School RSO)

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com