[ RadSafe ] RE: US DOE sells 200 tons of uranium hexafluoride

Eric.Goldin at sce.com Eric.Goldin at sce.com
Mon Nov 5 15:35:46 CST 2007

Franz,   Unless you've already received an answer (I get Radsafe in digest
so I may be late responding), the UF6 is purchased as raw material to make
commercial nuclear plant fuel.  It's not depleted and has no military
connection.  Just procure the raw material and pay to have fuel made
(enriched, converted, manufactured, delivered).  The utilities do not make
the fuel themselves.  Other companies do that in the US.

- snip -

US DOE sells 200 tons of uranium hexafluoride

What will those companies do with it? I do not know that these nuclar
power utilities have breeder reactors to breed Pu-239, which is not done
anywhere. The only current use for large amounts of depleted uranium seems
to be in manufacture of penetrating shells. So why should nuclear power
utilites buy (depleted) uranium hexafluoride?
FPL Group, Exelon and Progress Energy are nuclear power utilities.

What will those companies do with it?

US DOE sells 200 tons of uranium hexafluoride

- snip -

Eric M. Goldin
Southern California Edison
<Eric.Goldin at sce.com>