[ RadSafe ] Pilot of Enola Gay Had No Regrets for Hiroshima

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 6 11:15:17 CST 2007

Hi all,

I want to thank John Jacobus for the link he provided in his recent email below [ http://www.rerf.or.jp/radefx/late_e/cancrisk.html ] to the Radiation Effects Research Foundation [RERF], the successor to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commisssion [ABCC] established  in 1947 by the National Academy of Sciences, and funded by the Atomic Energy Commission.

The link to the RERF and its ongoing work provides a wealth of reports and summary information about the long-term health effects of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

This subject about Tibbets and "The Bomb" is all the more appropriate to consider given the approach of Veterans Day and remembering our debt to their role in preserving freedom during WWII and throughout our country's history.

Regarding my earlier note to the group, the NPR Ombudsman and I have been exchanging emails and it is looking quite promising that NPR will correct the major error in their report on the recent death of Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay erroneous  stating that there were "tens of thousands" of long-term deaths from radioactive fallout [sic]" vs. the less than 400 long-term non-leukemic cancer deaths from 1950 to 1990 from instantaneous whole body exposure which have been documented as occuring by the RERF among the surviving population.

The NPR Ombudsman emails to me state they have a firm policy to "correct significant errors of fact on air, on line and in transcripts" and are reviewing my initial Comment to them, and an Addendum which I sent with detailed technical data.  Hopefully, they will live up to their stated goal. It will be interesting to see what they do on the subject of radiation risk assessment..

For those that want it, I have a self-transcribed copy of the NPR on-air Remembrance Report "Pilot of Enola Gay Had No Regrets for Hiroshima" which ran on  Nov. 2 which can be listened to at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15858203&sc=emaf

Regards,
Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
[203] 441-8433 [Office]