[ RadSafe ] CT scans dangerous?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 07:40:09 CST 2007

Dr. Brickner,
You are comparing individual to populaton doses.  And,
as you noted, the risk is a calculated one for the
population of children.  How does one compare the use
of a CT scan to child who was in a car accident to not
doing the CT scan?  You are optimizing the use of the
technology to help the patient. Obviously, you cannot
say which of the 18 000 children receiving a CT scan
will develop cancer FROM the radiation.  But if the
child dies because you do not perform the CT scan,
that is a non-statistical result.

Nevertheless, it is also possible to overprescibe CT
scanning.  I doubt that every child who falls and hits
their head should get a CT scan.  (Beyond the
radiation dose, there is the cost of such procedures.)
There are guidelines for medical intervention in many
branches of medicine.  I believe that guidelines have
been been developed for emergency rooms on the usage
of CT scans.

Apart from the use of radiation in medicine, there are
cases where CT scanning has been sold to asymptomatic
"customers" http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ct/  Unless a
patient derives a medical benefit, I would think we
should oppose this waste of resources.

One question: is the increased risk of 0.29% for the
population who are receive a CT scan?  [9.5 additonal
deaths] / [18 000 population] is an increase of 0.05%.
 In the population receiving CT scans.

--- בריקנר דב <brickner at smile.net.il> wrote:

> The message of the paper is not "Stop the cameras".
> It means to provide the pediatritions a tool to
> assess the risk against the benefit at time of
> decision. They calaulated the lifetime excess risk
> to die (from cancer)from about 18000 CT examinations
> performed on children each year in Israel. The
> calculation were done with existing models (I think
> they used BEIR V coefficients, standartised  to the
> children population). They estimated the risk of
> 0.29% corresponding to 9.5 excess mortality cases.
> Personally I think that I, and every other
> physician, can live with this estimation.
>
> Dov Brickner        MD
> Beer Sheva    ISRAEL

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com