[ RadSafe ] Radium

Fri Nov 16 12:00:58 CST 2007

This is the explanation I've seen for the "Blue Flash" reported by
people who have been present at unanticipated criticality events (people
present at anticipated criticality events generally are present at much
greater distances, with better shielding).  There seems to be universal
agreement that seeing the Blue Flash is bad.

I suspect the easiest test to see if the blue glow is from Cerenkov
radiation originating from the air (or water, it the source is in a
pool) around the source or Cerenkov radiation originating within the eye
is to see if the glow is only near the source.  If you look away from
the source but still see blue, then it is your eyes that are being
ionized by the radiation, and again I think everyone will agree that
this is bad.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Syd H. Levine
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:43 PM
To: Bailly, Helen A; Brennan, Mike (DOH); radsafe
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Radium

At high dose rates, I believe early researchers reported a faint blue
glow.
This has been explained as direct scintillation in the vitreous humor,
and perhaps the crystalline structure of the lens of the eye itself.  If
you see this, you are getting entirely too much exposure, I would think.

The "lights" seen by astronauts have been similarly explained as a
result of some experiments done around accelerators, iirc.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671
Telefax:  (270) 276-5588