[ RadSafe ] Article in todays Washington Post - RadiationDetectors for Border Are Delayed Again

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 12:00:32 CST 2007

If they've "got to do something!", why are they using
the my tax money to do it.

--- "Brennan, Mike  (DOH)" <Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV>
wrote:

> I don't think that accomplishing anything
> constructive is the goal, at
> least at the DHS level.  I think they view radiation
> detection equipment
> as a great thing to focus attention on, as the
> chances of someone
> actually trying to bring rad mat into the country
> are low, and not
> catching anything can be used as proof that the mere
> existence of the
> systems have scared off the terrorists.  This gives
> them a "success" to
> point and the ability to say, "We can't do
> everything at once" when they
> are criticized for doing more or less nothing to
> stop the flow of people
> into this country through unregulated pathways that
> cause hundreds,
> possibly thousands of deaths each year, enrich
> criminal organizations,
> and make a mockery of all the other systems that try
> to regulate entry.
>
> But then, the watch word is, "We've got to do
> something!", not "We've
> got to do something constructive."

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com